COURSE EVALUATION PROFILE & OUTLINE FOR SCH4U
TEXTBOOK REPLACEMENT COST: C$
This course focuses on the concepts and theories the following units.
Thermo chemistry, Rates of Reaction, Chemical Equilibrium, Organic Chemistry, Atomic Structure, Shapes and Properties
Prerequisite for SCH4U is SCH3U
Evaluated on Report Card as:
E (excellent); G (good); S (satisfactory); N (needs improvement)
Fulfills responsibilities and commitments within the learning environment; completes and submits class work, homework, and assignments according to agreed-upon timelines; takes responsibility for and manages own behavior.
Devises and follows a plan and process for completing work and tasks; establishes priorities and manages time to complete tasks and achieve goals; identifies gathers, evaluates, and uses information, technology, and resources to complete tasks.
Independently monitors, assesses, and revises plans to complete tasks and meet goals; uses class time appropriately to complete tasks; follows instructions with minimal supervision.
Accepts various roles and an equitable share of work in a group; responds positively to the ideas, opinions, values, and traditions of others; builds healthy peer-to-peer relationships through personal and media-assisted interactions; works with others to resolve conflicts and build consensus to achieve group goals; shares information, resources, and expertise and promotes critical thinking to solve problems and make decisions.
Looks for and acts on new ideas and opportunities for learning; demonstrates the capacity for innovation and a willingness to take risks; demonstrates curiosity and interest in learning; approaches new tasks with a positive attitude; recognizes and advocates appropriately for the rights of self and others.
sets own individual goals and monitors progress towards achieving them; seeks clarification or assistance when needed; assesses and reflects critically on own strengths, needs, and interests; identifies learning opportunities, choices, and strategies to meet personal needs and achieve goals; perseveres and makes an effort when responding to challenges.
Achievement Categories for Course Work
– knowledge of facts & terms
– understanding concepts, principles, and theories
– understanding of relationships between concepts
– critical thinking skills (conducting analysis, detecting bias)
– creative thinking (problem solving)
– inquiry skills (formulating questions; conducting research; analysing,
interpreting, and evaluating information; drawing conclusion)
– communication of information and ideas
– use of symbols and visuals (use of technology – multi media)
– oral communication (debates, role-playing)
– written communication (reviews, short essays)
– application of concepts, skills, and procedures
– transfer of concepts, skills, and procedures to new concepts
– making logical conclusions or generalizations
– making predictions and planning courses of action
– making connections
Course Work Value (70%)
Final Exam 30 %