Preparation of 0.5 M /0.5N Iodine solution
- Iodine is not a primary standard so the solution has to be standardized using thiosulfate.
- Solid iodine is not soluble in water but it can be made soluble by dissolving it in KI.
- This forms a KI3– complex ion which works like an iodine solution in all re-dox reactions.
- This solution can be used to estimate ascorbic acid or vitamin C.
- Dissolve 6.345 grams in 10 grams of KI in about 25 ml of distilled water and dilute it to 1 liter by adding distilled water.