Total and Net ionic equations
We can write total and net ionic equation using the solubility rules.
Short Solubility Rules
- All salts of Group IA (Group 1 alkali metals), and ammonium are soluble.
- All salts of nitrates, chlorates and acetates are soluble.
- All salts of halides are soluble except those of silver(I), copper(I), lead(II), and mercury(I).
- All salts of sulfate are soluble except for barium sulfate, lead (II) sulfate, and strontium sulfate.
- All salts of carbonate, phosphate and sulfite are insoluble, except for those of group IA (Group 1 alkali metals) and ammonium.
- All oxides and hydroxides are insoluble except for those of group IA (Group 1, alkali metals), calcium, strontium and barium.
- All salts of sulfides and insoluble except for those of Group IA (Group 1 alkali metals) and IIA (Group 2 alkaline earth metals) elements and of ammonium.
Sample practice equations
- AgNO3 (aq) + KCl (aq) => AgCl (s) + KNO3 (aq)
- Mg(NO3)2 (aq) + Na2CO3 (aq) => MgCO3 (s) + NaNO3 (aq)
- 3.strontium bromide (aq) + potassium sulfate (aq) => strontium sulfate (s) + potassium bromide (aq)
- manganese(II) chloride (aq) + ammonium carbonate (aq) => manganese(II) carbonate (s) + ammonium chloride (aq)
- chromium(III) nitrate (aq) + iron(II) sulfate (aq) => chromium(III) sulfate (aq) + iron(II) nitrate (aq)